Monday, July 24, 2006

Ex-Pal

Once again, Paypal is becoming my Ex-Pal. Years ago, I had it out with them because they found I was using them for subscriptions and billing. They deemed my nonnude, hardcore free site as adult content. For them, the fetish aspect of it was the deal killer moreso than anything else. I gave Ex-Pal up, and went with a company that did everything from designing sites, to hosting them, to doing subscriptions and billing for them. My most recent incident with Ex-Pal came from a payment for a custom video. It was that incident that sparked today's blog entry.

Anyone who is in the adult industry needs to know that no matter how tame you think your content or site is, there is someone who will think otherwise. Having said that, I'll tell you about the incident, and then give you advisory warnings so you won't lose business if you decided to open your own foot site.

I buy and sell items online from other models, and for my own models. The key to it is being discreet. Ex-Pal will limit, shutdown, or close an account if it feels it violated it's Acceptable Use Policy (AUP). So if you are going to buy something adult-oriented, either lie about the purchase, or don't say anything about it at all. In my case, my custom buyer decided to give Ex-Pal very detailed information about his purchase. We discussed it already, so I felt there would be no need for him to include it in his purchase information...I was wrong. Ex-Pal sent its Task Force to handle my account. After providing it with the information it required, it still was not satisfied. Ultimately, I had to fabricate something on the Internet for them to see. Once they saw it, I was to cease and desist that particular Internet activity. I complied, and await the outcome. Until then, I won't be accepting any payments, or sending any payments. I can put my own money in, and pay people. But I can't take any out. The worst thing that happens to violators is the 180 day account freeze. During that time, you can't do anything with your account. If it comes to that, I will be OK because right now, I only need the account to pay people.

If you decide to start your own foot site, make sure you go with companies that approve of and accept adult sites and transactions. Make sure your domain registration service accepts adult domain names. Make sure your hosting company accepts adult sites. Make sure your payment processor(s) accept adult transactions. If any one of those important places is not friendly to the adult industry, you run the risk of being shut down, and losing business.

As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home